HOW TO BE PREPARED FOR THE JUDGMENT AMERICA DESERVES
By Dr. Patrick Johnston
August 22, 2015
“A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished” (Prov. 22:3)
Understanding that judgment comes upon nations that behave as ours, we must have a vigilance to be prepared. We cannot naively believe that all will be as it always has been. An awareness for how our nation has defied God’s sovereignty can give us insights in the ways we will be judged and therefore the ways we should be prepared.
Jonadab is a biblical character that sets a good example for us for preparation in times of judgment. You can read about him in Jeremiah 35. As a compatriot of Elijah in the northern kingdom, he heard the prophecies of coming judgment on the nation. In Jeremiah 35 we learn the ways in which Jonadab prepared his children for the doom that was prophesied. Jonadab’s children herded animals instead of tilling the ground. They lived in tents instead of homes with foundations. And they drank no wine, so as to always be sober. What was the purpose of these rules? When the armies of judgment swept down upon the northern kingdom as Elijah prophesied, Jonadab wanted his posterity to survive it. He wanted them to be able to uproot on a moment’s notice and move south, and not fortify homes and defend tilled fields in the false hope that they would survive the judgment. Hence, the posterity of Jonadab survived the destruction of the northern kingdom, and God praised them for it and set them forth as an example.
How will the United States be judged? One of the reasons God gave for Israel’s destruction at the hands of its enemies is that they worshiped idols and shed innocent blood without doing justice. “Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it” (Ezekiel 36:18). It’s not the shedding of innocent blood that brings God’s wrath upon the land – it’s the shedding of innocent blood without justice. Genesis 9:6, Deuteronomy 21 and Numbers 35 reveals the judgment for bloodguilt is abated through justice.
Consider the grave indictment against the United States:
1. 55-60 million preborn children, with beating hearts and measurable brain waves, have been killed by abortion since 1973.
2. Personhood Amendments and abortion bans have failed to pass in many states via legislation and via ballot initiative – Colorado, Mississippi most recently – in large part because of the reluctance of pro-life groups to get behind it.
3. States that have active signature-gathering petitions to end abortion by ballot initiative – Florida, California, and Ohio – have failed to receive the support from pro-life groups necessary to get their bill on the ballot.
4. Most of what is hailed as the best pro-life legislation that has passed over the last four decades are laws that basically say, “Do this, and then you can kill the baby.” Even though these pathetic laws are overturned by the courts, their proponents still believe that states have a duty to comply with lawless judicial decisions.
5. One of the main reasons pro-life leaders prefer to regulation abortion instead of ban it is that they believe the timing is not right for an abortion ban because of the leftward-bent Supreme Court. Their strategy is to do what the courts will allow – even if it means passing laws that justify some abortion. They believe that states have a duty to comply with lawless judicial decisions.
That brings us to another reason God sent judgment on Israel. They “walked in the statutes of the heathen, whom the LORD cast out from before the children of Israel” (2 Kings 17:8). Rather than obey God and protect the innocent within their lawful jurisdiction, states have capitulated to godless and lawless statutes that kill children. Rather than prosecute baby killers, states protected them. And states have done this at the prodding of the church and their leaders.
When pro-lifers permit the shedding of some innocent blood in their pro-life laws, they permit that which God’s law forbids, and they stain our hands with the guilt of innocent blood. The most ominous recurrence in our forty year struggle to end abortion has been the pro-life movement’s passage of laws that, in their wording and regulating of the child-killing, kill some children. Add to that the movement’s repeated endorsement of candidates who believe that some children may be sacrificed in cases of rape, incest, maternal health, and you have a movement who has become an accomplice in the Abortion Holocaust. Some pro-life groups have gone further than simple passing corrupt laws; they even actively oppose abortion bans and Personhood Amendments, as has Ohio Right to Life and the Catholic Conference of Ohio.
Another reason given for judgment in the Ezekiel 36:18 passage is the worship of idols. Over the past four decades, courtrooms, schools, and government buildings have being systematically purged of Ten Commandments monuments, the name of Jesus, and every vestige of our Christian heritage. When a godly man like Navy chaplain Gorden Klingenschmitt was discharged for refusing to cease praying in Jesus’ name, and Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore was expelled from the bench for refusing to remove the Ten Commandments monument from the courthouse, Christian leaders were mostly silent. Some dared to condemn them.
Our government has supplanted the worship of the one true God and our Christian heritage from the public square and our nation’s institutions, and states have not resisted. When the judiciary interpreted the First Amendment to mean that they may forbid the “free exercise of religion”, and when they invented a “right to privacy” that justified killing your child, and a “right to equality” that demanded two men have the right to a marriage license, states should have done right within that state’s lawful jurisdiction and resisted them. Instead, states capitulated to these lawless and godless judicial decisions and “walked in the statutes of the heathen” – mostly at the behest of the church and its leaders.
Another way in which we have “walked in the statutes of the heathen” has made headlines this year:
1. Homosexuals by the hundreds of thousands march openly in the streets every year celebrating their lust. In some cities such as Columbus, Ohio, they are half a million strong, the women march topless, and the men are lewd and openly vile in the sight of children, police officers, and dozens of churches who line the parade route celebrating with them.
2. The Supreme Court mandated same-sex marriage in 2015 and those state leaders who previously pioneered state laws forbidding the same have now publicly stated that they will enforce this Supreme Court’s unlawful usurpation of state’s rights.
3. Gay couples have been legally allowed to adopt children.
4. Bakers and photographers have been forced to act contrary to conscience in providing services to these celebrations of abomination, upon pain of fine or prison.
The book of Jude sets forth the example of Sodom and Gomorrah as to what happens to nations that do what we have done. Sudden, massive, catastrophic overthrow and chaos. That’s what we have coming.
Another way in which we have “walked in the statutes of the heathen” is by way of our “unjust weights and measures” via our corrupt monetary system and welfare system. Most are unaware of what the government has done with its subterfuge with the dollar and our nanny state. Our wealth redistribution and corporate welfare is an abomination to God. The Bible says the debtor is a slave to the lender, and our nation has so much debt that we can never repay it. We have bartered away our children’s freedom for our government perks, our Social Security and Medicaid checks, our corporate welfare, our unemployment benefits, our government-controlled healthcare system. The dollar is doomed. We cannot afford our debt. And too much of our people are dependent upon the government for sustenance. This lawlessness foreshadows the way in which God will judge our nation.
Jesus called His church the “salt of the earth”; but rather than preserve divine standards of righteousness and justice in the culture and in government as God calls His church to do, we have “walked in the statutes of the heathen.” Jesus said if the salt lost its saltiness, we would be “be cast out and trodden under the foot of men” (Matthew 5:13). That’s what is going to happen to the salt in the United States.
The larger cities are where most of these abominations are most evident, whether it is gay pride wickedness, abortion clinics, persecution of public proclamations of the Christian faith, or heretical Christian denominations that celebrate sodomy and justify abortion. If the dollar collapses, and the eighteen wheelers stop rolling for a bit, it won’t take long until the most of the population of our cities are starving. How much food does the average family have in their home? Our college students and riot when their teams wins and when their stomachs are full. African American groups in our inner cities loot stores owned by blacks when a black criminal is shot by a white officer. Inner city folks riot when a hurricane comes into town and causes flooding. What are they going to do when their stomachs are empty and they blame the government? When the stores are looted clean and the welfare checks have halted and policemen have retreated for the sake of their own protection, how will people survive?
Violence. “Since you did not hate bloodshed, bloodshed will pursue you” (Ezekiel 35:6).
In order to be prepared, prayerfully do the following asap:
1. Every family needs at least a year of food. To ensure that it does not go bad, store non-perishable foods like rice, beans, and pasta in mylar bags in five gallon buckets with two oxygen absorbers and a couple bay leaves. Iron the mylar bags to seal them before sealing the lid on the bucket. Put some bottled bullion or seasoned salt or spice in each bag. That will keep for decades. Canned goods with a two-year-shelf life are also good, as long as you’re cycling through it so that none of it goes bad.
2. Since cities may be filled with anarchy, have a get-away place where you can go with your family away from the cities, preferably with two or three other likeminded Christian families. Keep in mind that even small towns are filled with dependence on the state, and people may riot, loot, or steal if times get tough. Get away from the cities and towns.
3. Have enough fuel for your vehicles to reach your destination and back. Make sure you can reach that secluded place without accessing highways or going through cities, which may be chaotic and impassable.
4. Since electricity may not be available, have the means to access clean water at your get-away-place. Generators would only last a couple weeks, and most wells require electricity to pump. An accessible water supply is critical. Solar powered or alternative forms of energy would be a plus if affordable.
5. Rifles, handguns, ammunition, and most importantly, proficiency in shooting them safely. All the preparation in the world does you no good if you cannot defend yourself and your family. Don’t assume you can dial 911 when violence comes knocking close to home. Coordinate with your get-away team so that you all have the same calibers. I recommend, in order of importance:a. 22 subsonic ammo for rifles/pistols for hunting quietly (no sonic boom as the projectile does not break the speed of sound). Although it is not a good defensive round, it can still kill or injure at close range. Moreover, most of the time a gun is used to stop a crime, it’s not even fired. Just having a gun – even a pellet pistol, or a paintball gun with the orange tip spray-painted black – protects you and your family, for the violent tends to prey on those who cannot defend themselves.
b. 9 mm hollowpoint ammunition in Glock handguns for close range defense.
c. 223 caliber AR-15s for longer range defense.
d. 308 caliber rifle for the person rotating through your “lookout” 24/7 to watch for intruders.6. Several vacuum packed non-hybrid seeds for planting in the spring in the view of your “lookout” (so that intruding animals may be shot with pellet rifle or 22 caliber subsonic rifle).
7. A box trailer or some means of transporting supplies to your get-away location.
8. History shows that some are overly anxious at false alarms, and others are naively hopeful that the crisis won’t precipitate even as it begins, and so means of coordinating and communicating (and powering that communication) with your get-away team are a must. CB’s or Ham radios, for example, with an agreed upon time and channel for communicating at the beginning of a crisis, would be helpful.
9. A radio that can operate without electricity would be useful to keep in touch with the outside.
The most important preparation is spiritual. Many abandon their faith when judgment comes on the land. Suffering has a way of separating the wheat from the chaff. Prepare your children to suffer for the kingdom of God. Study the Bible and pray together. Read the martyrs of the ages past, those who suffered and died in nations that were judged as ours will be.
Prepare them to one day lead their communities and their people back to God. If you survive the initial waves of judgment as the children of Jonadab did, then when the dust settles and the Lord so leads, venture back into your communities preparing to lead in establishing law and justice though following God’s Word. There may be vacuums of authority in our cities, and we don’t want to retreat to our hideaways forever. The salt is not designed for the salt shaker. We want to recriminalize abortion and these abominations that bring God’s wrath upon our nation, and rebuild on a foundation that God will bless. If God’s people will establish godly government as the opportunity allows, God may preserve us the tyranny that will surely sweep in anarchy’s wake.
� 2015 Patrick Johnston - All Rights Reserved
Dr. Patrick Johnston is a family physician and the director of Personhood Ohio. His newest novel, Naomi’s Sacrifice, is available through his website.
Patrick Johnston and his wife Elizabeth reside in Zanesville, Ohio, with their six young home-schooled children. Patrick is a family practice physician and founder of the Association of Pro-life Physicians, which is dedicated to restoring a remnant of physicians in our communities who are convinced that life begins at conception and who will not commit nor refer for abortions (www.ProLifePhysicians.org).
He founded the Alliance to Reform Education Funding to fight public school levies and promote Christian home-schooling (www.StopSchoolLevies.org). Dr. Johnston is committed to revival in the church, and the restoration of Biblical law and constitutional government in America. Dr. Johnston is currently campaigning for State Representative for District 94 in Ohio. Their family ministry -