THE CAUSE OF EDUCATIONAL CRISIS IN AMERICA
April 7, 2008
Last week, many of you listened to ABC, CBS and NBC report on horrific educational failures in our major cities. Detroit, Michigan schools tallied a phenomenal 76 percent of their students as dropouts before graduating from high school.
Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Houston, Denver and many other cities feature from 50 to 60 percent dropout rates. Three years ago as reported by the Rocky Mountain News in "What Happened?" the dropout rate hit the ceiling at 67 percent in Denver Public Schools.
Denver Post journalist, David Harsanyi addressed our national tragedy, but didn't dig far enough into the problem to reveal the source. Harsanyi 'failed' as a journalist to study the 'core' reason for those failures across the nation. Harsanyi stands with thousands of American journalists that fail to connect the dots on the big ‘why’ of this national educational predicament.
As a professional journalist and a teacher, I launch where Harsanyi dropped off. I'll try to 'teach' and mentor Harsanyi to do thorough journalistic work. To give you an example of why Denver suffers incredible educational consequences, we must investigate deeper. You may examine these facts as to that Rocky Mountain News report and my teaching experiences reveal:
* Denver Public Schools and Colorado schools suffer over 20,000 to 30,000 illegal alien children along with an estimated 10,000 legal immigrant children at a cost of $654.1 million annually according to “Breaking the Piggy Bank: How Illegal Immigration Sends Schools into the Red” (Source: FAIRUS.ORG broken down by state).
* DPS suffers 43 different languages that make it impossible to educate our children. (and theirs)
* One in five teachers quits or transfers out of DPS each nine month cycle because the chaos in the classroom exceeds their futility threshold.
* Classrooms suffer ethnic tension, racial bias and violence.
* Good and marginal Colorado students suffer as time and allocations go to illegal alien and legal immigrant children such as ESL classes.
* Illegal alien children siphon funds from our kids via free breakfasts and lunch programs. We educate Mexico’s children in deference to our own as well as feed them.
* We displace and dumb-down our courses to the lowest academic denominator that prevents Colorado students from pursuing a first class education paid for in taxes by their parents.
* Up to half our Colorado students, because of a marginal high school education caused by the aforementioned points, must take remedial classes in order to ramp-up to academic requirements at the college level.
Please note that every American city suffers commensurate educational failures depending on the number of legal and illegal immigrants. Quality education cannot succeed by injecting 2.5 million legal and illegal immigrants into the United States annually. Those immigrants originate from third world countries where illiteracy dominates.
Those examples illustrate the lose-lose situation for our Colorado and American students across this nation. As a teacher who taught in the ghetto (PC= inner city), I can assure you that our kids don’t stand a chance against illegal alien-filled classrooms. You may extend that across the nation where an estimated four million illegal children and babies born here that received instant citizenship overwhelm our educational systems.
Their parents remain illiterate in their own languages and illiterate in English. Thus, our educational systems cannot succeed. As you heard from the national reports, our educational system, once the envy of the world, fails stupendously.
What does it mean in the long run? It means 1.2 million young people, as told by Brian Williams of NBC, hit the streets annually with little ability to read, write or speak correctly, i.e., functionally illiterate. It means millions of unwed mothers birthing babies that immediately go on welfare to further the cycle of poverty, illiteracy, despair and drugs. It means young men locked into the lowest rung on the employment ladder. Others digress into drugs, crime and violence. It means our prisons overflow with more hopeless lives.
How can we solve our educational, linguistic and social dilemma? We must initiate a 10 year moratorium on all legal and illegal immigration. We need to stop the unrelenting and unending flow of over two million legal and illegal immigrants annually. Otherwise, we add more immigrant children that throws more gasoline onto our educational house that burns out of control.
Here’s a question: what if we continue ignoring this national tragedy?
Journalist Mike Folkerth said, “Ignore what? The fact that this past January 1st, the first of 78 million Americans began the longest and largest retirement in history? And that this baby-boomer retirement line is 17 years long? That Medicare will pay out more than it takes in this year? The fact that America cannot mathematically grow out of what the Dallas Fed President reported last week is a $99.2 trillion unfunded debt?
“Or maybe the fact that food prices including rice skyrocket as shortages appear around the world! Or that the US is running out of water? Or that oil reserves are diminishing and fuel costs are rising at an unprecedented rate?
“So what’s so hard to ignore about a little immigration? After all, we can use the Calcutta, India and Mexico City master plan to deal with it.”
Subscribe to the NewsWithViews Daily News Alerts!
Final note: I am looking for thinkers, writers and advocates to add to my monthly “Master Mind Think Tank.” In reality, our politicians create the problems that they campaign to solve. They never solve them; thus we spiral into deeper national chaos. I need new ideas and new creative thinkers to help me bring our most pressing issues onto the front burner. As you know, the recent PEW report shows immigration adding 100 million people to our country in 30 years. We need to stop it and we need to stop it now. Join me in saving our civilization. firstname.lastname@example.org
Listen to Frosty Wooldridge on Tuesdays and Thursdays as he interviews top national leaders on his radio show “Connecting the Dots” at republicbroadcasting.org at 6:00 PM Mountain Time. Adjust tuning in to your time zone.