DEMOCRATS MORE HONORABLE THAN REPUBLICANS
By Chuck Baldwin
Posted: February 6, 2003 - 11:30 pm pst
First, we need to acknowledge that all the haggling and squabbling between the two major parties concerns but about 25% of the overall political agenda and philosophy coming out of Washington, D.C. In other words, the two major political parties agree on about 75% of everything! That's why no matter which party is in power, there is very little change in the overall direction of the country.
Take the two parties' approach to government spending. The differences between them only deal with how much to increase spending. Neither party has any intention of actually reducing federal spending. When debating the subject, the only objection by Democrats to a Republican budget is that they aren't increasing the budget enough. When Democrats are in charge, Republicans only argue that they are increasing the budget too much. Neither party even raises the point that federal spending is out of control and needs to be reduced. Therefore, philosophically and politically, Democrats and Republicans are marching to the same drum beat. They only argue about how fast or slow the cadence should be.
I would even argue that if one wants to gauge the veracity of the two major parties, the Democratic Party is more honorable than the Republican Party. Why do I say that? Because Democrats are honest and upfront about wanting to increase the size and scope of the federal government; whereas, Republicans tell us they want to limit the size and scope of the federal government and then proceed to deliberately do just the opposite. In my opinion, an honest liberal is more honorable than a dishonest conservative!
This lack of integrity by the Republican Party is easily seen by looking at President Bush's budget proposal. He wants to reduce taxes (income) but is unwilling to reduce spending. This is an act of fraud, plain and simple! I am reminded of the old maxim that says, "If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your down fall."
At least Democrats are honest enough to say, "If we want to raise spending, we must raise revenue." They are right. If Republicans were truly honest about wanting to reduce the size and scope of the federal government, they would push for both reduced spending and reduced taxes!
Take the issue of gun control. Democrats are open about their intention to enact more gun control laws. Republicans say they believe in the Second Amendment but then turn around and support the very same gun control laws enacted by Democrats.
For example, both President George W. Bush and Attorney General John Ashcroft say they are pro-gun. At the same time, however, they both say they support existing gun control laws that were put on the books by liberal Democrats. They can't have it both ways! If they were really pro-gun, they would work feverishly to remove existing gun control laws. That they don't proves, once again, that Republicans are deceitful and duplicitous.
Take the issue of abortion. Again, Democrats are upfront about supporting a woman's "right" to kill her unborn baby. Republicans claim to be "pro-life." However, during 30 years of legalized abortion, Republicans have done nothing to overturn Roe v Wade. All the pro-life rhetoric uttered by Republicans has not saved a single baby from the abortionist's scalpel.
Even banning so-called Partial Birth Abortions will do nothing to save an unborn child's life. Indeed, it only adds to the shame and disgrace of the Republican Party. To go to all the trouble and effort to pass a law against a murderous procedure that causes a mere 1% of unborn babies' deaths, while callously leaving intact those murderous procedures that account for the remaining 99% is disingenuous, to say the least.
Beyond that, if President Bush was truly committed to overturning Roe v Wade (which he never said he would even attempt to do, and his wife Laura says should not be done), why doesn't he commit himself to selecting genuine pro-life justices to the Supreme Court? This reticence is political pandering at best and again demonstrates the insincerity and chicanery of the Republican Party.
Therefore, while the political and philosophical difference between the two major parties is miniscule, at least the Democratic Party is open and honest about what they believe.
© 2003 Chuck Baldwin - All Rights Reserved
Chuck Baldwin is Founder-Pastor of Crossroads Baptist Church in Pensacola, Florida. In 1985 the church was recognized by President Ronald Reagan for its unusual growth and influence.
Dr. Baldwin is the host of a lively, hard-hitting syndicated radio talk show on the Genesis Communications Network called, "Chuck Baldwin Live" This is a daily, one hour long call-in show in which Dr. Baldwin addresses current event topics from a conservative Christian point of view. Pastor Baldwin writes weekly articles on the internet http://www.ChuckBaldwinLive.com and newspapers.